Monday, February 3, 2014

So, What Are You Reading?

An innocent question from my husband to the boys.  A simple question you might think.  Let's see...

The Bible.  We are reading through the Bible and are now in II Kings with the reign of Hezekiah.

The Dry Divide by Ralph Moody.  We have been working our way through the Little Britches series for our nightly reading.  Not to be missed!

For geography we are loving The Book of Marvels by Richard Halliburton, who traveled around the world recording his adventures.  Charlotte Mason's Elementary Geography is fascinating. 

History always holds some wonderful treasures.  Right now we are enjoying mystery and intrigue in Web of Traitors by Geoffrey Trease set in Ancient Greece.

Our current poet is James Whitcomb Riley.  In addition to a book of his poems, we are learning about his life in this Childhood of Famous American gem. 

Picture study is one of our favorite subjects.  I've been wanting to study Millet for a long time so we decided now's the time.  Millet Tilled the Soil by Opal Wheeler and Sybil Deucher is so wonderful I'm not sure which I love most, the book or the art!

For science right now we are reading The Burgess Bird Book for Children.  We are huge Thornton Burgess fans.  We also have some books on snow that we've pulled out, found at this post.

We always have a "Sunday book" going that we reserve for the Lord's Day.  Right now we are immersed in the classic Robinson Crusoe, by Daniel Defoe.

In addition each boy is reading a book on his own.  My 10-year-old is almost finished with The Fellowship of the Ring.  My 9-year-old is finishing up Robin Hood Stories by Dolch. 

My husband and I have our own lists going.  I'm currently reading O Pioneers! by Willa Cather as a quick fiction story.  That, along with my Charlotte Mason assignments, and trying to keep books reshelved is keeping me busy.

So what are you reading?  Pull out a good book on a cold, wintry day.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Robin -
    Our reading list right now looks like this:

    My personal reading
    -Minders of Make-Believe: Idealists, Entrepreneurs, and the Shaping of American Children's Literature - Leonard Marcus (absolutely loving this book and learning SO much)
    -Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
    -Unglued - Lysa Terkheurst
    -reading through the Gospels

    Family:
    -Lad, a Dog - Albert Terhune (my husband agreed to read this aloud to my boys on Sundays and they are all loving it! I am usually the one who reads aloud so this is great.)
    -At the Back of the North Wind - George MacDonald
    -St. Patrick's Summer - Marigold Hunt
    -The Civil War - Pratt (plus lots of Civil War picture books)
    -lots of picture books

    Love your blog. Thanks Robin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly. I'm intrigued by the Marcus book. I see he has one on picture books as well. I'll have to check those out. Thanks for sharing your list. Some great reads!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for linking up!

    A few things being read here:
    Joshua in the Old Testament
    The Book of Mormon
    The Lightning Thief
    Little Britches
    The Penderwicks book 3
    Fablehaven Book 5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tristan. We absolutely love the Little Britches series! I'm collecting hard covers for my boys. Thanks for hosting the link-up! http://ourbusyhomeschool.com/one-homeschool-day-linky-february-edition/

      Delete